After a two year hiatus I am returning to blogging but expanding my coverage to cover the interrelated issues of communications and social networking as well as today’s intelligent devices such as smartphones, tablets and maybe even speech driven devices such as Amazon Echo (for which I recently watched a live demonstration). During this time […]
Tag Archives | Facebook
About two weeks ago I reported on participating in the trial of Facebook Messenger’s voice calling service for Canadians who had Messenger 2.1 for iOS on iPhones and iPads. But it was limited to calls between Canadians over WiFi or wireless data plan connections; earlier this week it was expanded into the U.S. When it […]
When I went to look for a new app on my iPhone 5’s App Store this afternoon I found an new update to Facebook Messenger for iOS to version 2.1 with the following information: What really caught my attention by surprise was the third line “Call friends for free right from Messenger”. On further investigation […]
With the release of Skype for Windows 5.11 beta and Skype for Mac 5.11 beta, we first encountered the ability to log into Skype via a “linked” Microsoft account. Since then Skype has introduced other offerings that make it clear why this merging is becoming necessary, especially with the launch of Skype for Windows 8. […]
Last week Skype released Skype 5.11 for Windows – beta and Skype 5.11 for Mac – beta. And the key word here is “beta”. But it starts to give a picture of how Microsoft intends to integrate Skype into its offerings, especially as Microsoft approaches the launch later this year of Windows 8, Office 2013 […]
Recently Skype has participated in several technology sharing activities with Facebook: Facebook Video Calls, Facebook Chat sessions through the Skype client, a Facebook news feed on the Skype client home page and most recently video calls from the Skype client to your Facebook Friends. However, until now Skype has been somewhat weak on using Facebook […]
CounterPath, publishers of the Bria carrier grade softphone, has recently taken measures both to build their enterprise user base and to enhance the user experience when using Bria. Not only is Bria supported on Windows and Mac PC’s but also on the iPhone, iPad and Android. In other words, Bria provides a business desktop phone […]
Over the past couple of years I have attended quarterly briefings given by CheckPoint Canada that give me some perspective on Internet security issues from a third party (relative to Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Skype, etc.) who understands not only the issues that challenge a business’s Internet security but also how they are changing over time. […]
Not all PC’s were created equal! With its level of popularity and 170 million monthly active users, there are going to be almost 170 million different PC and device configurations on which Skype is installed. Supporting a software application on this many configurations across 27 languages can be a challenge, especially when working across many […]
Yesterday Skype released the “Gold” or “user” version of Skype 5.5 for Windows. Many of the features, including the Facebook integration, were discussed in Skype for Windows 5.5 beta: First Impressions with Facebook Integration and Skype for Windows 5.5 beta: The Call Bar. In the final release these have been enhanced; at the same time […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (http://voiceon...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- No Tweets Available
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/5Ij1cWIy7N Thanks to @nihsingapore @TomVerni @EIMediaIntel #sweden #newyork about 20 hours ago from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/37fPOKrcGa Thanks to @Sourcefabric #security #events 04:57:37 AM February 18, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/OekWXoeP7R Thanks to @GoodNewsStock 04:57:36 AM February 17, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/V9H1WvGsZp Thanks to @lynnmark6 @tokenwhiteguy3 @hostdns #us #nso 04:57:33 AM February 16, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/TTNVE7Dj4c Thanks to @SkypeSupport @StGilesResident @BraulioJSR… https://t.co/3AxwdCjIyC 04:57:32 AM February 15, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The latest The Jim Courtney Daily! https://t.co/bEeadbMJKD Thanks to @tcarothers 04:57:37 AM February 14, 2020 from Paper.li ReplyRetweetFavorite